Pcounter is a comprehensive network-oriented printer accounting and management software suite. Unlike some products
which require repetitive and cumbersome software installation on each workstation, Pcounter is essentially a server-based
application which allows network administrators to manage printing centrally. (This is what a network is all about,
isn't it?) In addition, products which are workstation-based cannot reliably track print jobs which have been
submitted from workstations to network print queues.
Pcounter will track print jobs from any platform (PC, Mac, Unix) which can print to a
NetWare, NDPS, NT, or 2000 print queue.
Pcounter integrates everything: accounting, load balancing, and queue management into a single cross-platform interface
which works with both Microsoft Windows (NT, 2000) and Novell NetWare networks at the same time.
Here are some of Pcounter's features:
- Counts pages printed on any PostScript or PCL printer, from all major manufacturers such as HP, Xerox, Lexmark,
Canon, and more. Also included are Ricoh RPCS, Canon BubbbleJet, and Epson inkjet and laser printers.
This covers most lasers, inkjets, and multi-function devices on the market today. Support for TIFF printing
is included, and Pcounter also tracks plot size on HPGL/2 and PostScript plotters.
- Separate pricing for color and duplex print jobs.
- Enforces printing account balances/quotas for users. Users can check their balances via web
browser or using Wbalance, a small Windows utility which runs in the system tray.
- Keeps a log file of all print activity - for printers hosted on multiple servers the log can be kept in one
central location for easy access. The log file includes user name, document name, printer/queue name, date,
time, client station, client code, subcode, paper size, features, byte size, page count, cost, and account balance.
- Windows users may have a popup window for billing print jobs to clients/job numbers.
Users from any platform (Windows, Macintosh, Linux, UNIX, etc.) can use the Pcounter Web Client
for cross-platform print job billing, authorization, and authentication, all from within a web browser.
- The cost for each page is determined by the paper size used in the print job, allowing variable costs for printers
which support multiple paper sizes. Print jobs requesting an invalid paper size can be discarded. Roll
plotters can be accounted for based on image size.
- Can generate various printing usage reports and print histories of users, printers, and client
codes. Reports and histories can be saved as HTML, CSV, or formatted text, can be directly launched into Excel
or web browsers, and can be sent by email.
- Rules based printing for load balancing based on maximum and minimum byte sizes and/or page counts - print jobs can
be deleted, moved to the end of the queue, or moved to another print queue.
- All print jobs can be automatically held/paused, and global (print job configuration) settings for
queues can be automatically enforced. Each server has a default template which can be used globally for all print
queues on that server.
- A Plot Manager handles batch submission of printer-ready files to printers and plotters, including support for
client billing codes and scheduling.
- Reject incorrect print job types such as Postscript on PCL printers.
- Network broadcast messages can be customized and sent at any time to keep users informed.
- Customizable banner pages can be used which contain all information about the print job, including
the page count and account balance.
- Administration can be done from any Windows workstation or server on the network, including printer/queue setup,
configuration, properties, permissions, and print job management.
- The Pcounter workstation tools (popup and account balance information) are internationalized in
French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Finnish, Dutch, Czech, Swedish, Danish, Polish, and Norwegian.